Flogging Franklstein

History doesn't repeat itself. You repeat History.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, Colorado, United States

Saturday, December 03, 2005

Ratdog - 12/2/05 - Fillmore Auditorium - Denver

It's about fuckin' time Ratdog played the Fillmore...

The original plan was to take Todd and my brother Eric to the show as a Christmas present. Well, that didn't work out as planned, as Todd went to South Dakota for some kind of family thing. Who would have thought that he would turn around and head north right after getting back from Florida? (Did I mention that I got back from Florida Wednesday? More on that later.)

Anyway, instead of selling the ticket, I decided to take my ex-wife. The original plan was to get wasted at the show and crash at her teeny-tiny studio apartment a couple blocks away from the Fillmore. So, since I was going to crash there (without getting any booty, sadly), I decided to take her to the show. She hadn't been to a concert in years, so I thought it would be a good treat.

Well, that didn't work out too well. She is not very social anymore, and she became uncomfortable as we were standing in line outside the building. Of course, it didn't help that some waste-oid was sitting next to the building, pissing in a big ol' arc toward the line (thankfully we were not in range). Also, she didn't understand why everyone was searched entering the building.

I entered first and found a table in the back of the side-tables - with about an hour and a quarter 'til the show started.. Stephanie eventually found me, sat down, and looked totally miserable. I did my best to cheer her up, but it wasn't really working. Jerry and his fiancee Jen came by and introduced themselves. They later commented during a smoke break that she didn't look too happy. I did my best to explain. The show eventually started, and I hoped that she would begin to enjoy the music, especially when Shakedown started after the opening jam. No such luck. I had a feeling that she was waiting for my brother to show up so she could go home.

Eric eventually did show up on the 5th song. He sat and chatted with Stephanie while I went to have a cig and a good pee. When I came back, Steph said she was going home, and that was that.

I: Jam > Shakedown Street > Minglewood Blues > She Belongs To Me, Row Jimmy, Walkin' Blues*, Lucky Enough, Big Boss Man*, Lazy River Road, Big Railroad Blues
II: El Paso@3, Masters Of War@, Corrina > West L.A. Fadeaway > Silvio > Tequila > Silvio > Tequila > Silvio > Iko Iko* > Stuff, Sugaree > St. Stephen > William Tell Bridge > The Eleven
E: Ripple
*-w/ Boots (harmonica)


Eric came it after Row Jimmy. He was bummed that he missed Shakedown and Minglewood. (Those are short names for the songs in the setlist, non-Dead fans. If you want the full names and lyrics, go here for the Dead songs - I don't know where to find the Ratdog originals.) We chatted it up for a bit and had a few beers. I like seeing shows with my brother.

The show was pretty good for a Ratdog show. Not as good as the ones I saw at the Boulder Theater in March, 2004, but good none the less. The venue was nice and packed - but not too packed - and everyone was having a good time. The highlights for me were Big Railroad Blues and the Silvio > Tequila > Silvio > Tequila > Silvio > Iko Iko* sequence. That was really cool. Once the show was over, we went outside to a nice little snow storm.

It was good to see Jerry and Jen. Jen's voice was back to normal after her Vegas illness, and she was looking hot. Jerry is lucky to have such a nice woman with good cleavage. I found out while out on the smoke break mentioned above that they are getting married in Vegas in two weeks. That was the first I heard that they were even engaged, and was quite a "shock", knowing Jerry as I do. I wish them all the best, he has a real winner in Jen.

That's it for this post. Roger requested that I post a picture of a hottie.

Click to Enlarge, Roger Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home