Flogging Franklstein

History doesn't repeat itself. You repeat History.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, Colorado, United States

Friday, September 30, 2005

Jerry Goes Wild

So I was listening to the Grateful Dead 4/28/71 this morning (The Fillmore East run - part of which made it to "Ladies and Gentlemen".) Hard to Handle came on. I think that Jerry was a little looped that night, because it was a very interesting version.

They were in the middle part, where Jerry solos. He started out a little slow, and then kept building it up. After a while the rest of the band tried to come out of the jam, as they usually do, and Jer kept going. After another round, they tried again and stuck with it, but Jerry kept going. The man did not want to give it up. I suspect Pig finally walking up to the microphone snapped him out of it (though I don't know this for sure) because they dropped right into his vocals. Wild stuff!!!

I love the sound of the early '70s Dead. The whole band sounds tight, and Bobby's rhythm guitar sounded great (this was before Bobby figured out how to make his guitar sound like a fly tweakin' on Meth.)

1 Comments:

Blogger Cosmic said...

Hmmm, interesting comment up there! Maybe you have been discovered Franklllllll! : ) Anyway, just wanted to say howdy and tell ya I enjoyed your revelries of Jerry. The man and his music never failed or fails to make me smile. Loopy indeed! ; )

10/05/2005 11:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home